Sunday, March 29, 2015

Goodbye Brian

The most recent in a long list of departures, Brian leaves Chicago this week. We were never very close which I regret but I watched him perform so much over the past couple years he was part of my weekly routine. The one show I see almost every week is Holy Fuck Comedy Hour and Brian was one of my favorites in that show. Always 100% committed and with the most fully formed concepts he was always compelling. He was also one of the funnest to take pictures of because he is so expressive.

I learned a lot from watching him specifically repetition, mispronunciation, and calculated anger. Repeating lines or phrases is an effective way to heighten, let the audience in, and get laughs. For whatever reason deliberately mispronouncing words is sometimes more potent than a well crafted punchline. Unjustified or hair-trigger anger can be a pitfall of new improvisers but when its calculated, when it is set in contrast to something absurd or jovial it can be used to devastating comedic returns.

I have every confidence in Brian's success as he leaves Chicago, I'll miss him still.

No comments:

Post a Comment