Friday, March 6, 2015

Nothing Left Unsaid

I got some sad news yesterday, a long time family friend passed away after an extended illness. It was rather shocking, I had just seen this gentleman a couple weeks ago and he seemed in good health and high spirits. It's sad. A great loss.

Life is a precious thing. Something we can easily take for granted and forget how precarious it can be. Not only illness and age but random happenstance can take it without warning. I don't mean to be paranoid or morbid quite the contrary. It is a good reminder to enjoy the life we have, to relish even the smallest things that bring us joy. To be grateful for our time and our loved ones.

As my father has gotten older he has become more concerned with mortality, which is probably normal for a man in his 60's. When we talk he'll occasionally say things like "I won't be around forever" which I of course unilaterally reject. Not because it is a thought I cannot fathom or fear to deal with but because no good can come from dwelling on it. We all owe a death. That is something I came to know with certainty back in my drinking days. Death waits for us all. Knowing that, how do you choose to live?

Aside from his more direct morbid comments my father in his later years has been more open. More honest, more emotional. Making sure almost every time we speak to communicate his pride, support, and love. Sentiments which I return.

I learned the lesson from him backed up by countless iterations in books and movies- leave nothing left unsaid. Because you never know. Keeping things to yourself, being closed off and isolated leads to regrets and resentments. Love is a two way street. You share it.

I try to tell my friends and family I love them whenever I can. Even friends who, at times, I may not be close enough with where it is altogether natural. Because I don't want to have not said it, I don't want there to be any doubt about what my feelings are. No regrets, no unknowns. Only warm words and articulated affections.

No comments:

Post a Comment