Friday, April 3, 2015

Downtown LA

Alex, Caroline, and I explored downtown today. I suspect I'm making them do tourist type stuff they wouldn't normally do as actual residents.
On the way downtown I made them stop just so I could take this picture of the Scientology Center.
Something I've noticed in LA is the diversity. Not only all types of people but all those people mixed together. Highlights the rigid geographic segregation of Chicago.
One of the places I wanted to stop was The Last Book Store, one of the largest used book stores in the country. It was very cool, the store was enormous and they had furniture made out of books.
City Hall.
Downtown like the city at large is sprawling, doesn't seem to have much of a focal point, however there are a lot of fun murals.
We were all pretty worn out from walking around most of the afternoon so Alex and I napped while Caroline went to yoga.

In the evening I met Alex at Rafa's Lounge where there are two shows produced by former Chicago folks. There were a lot of friends and acquaintances there including Mark who was on my first harold team FireCup, I was hoping to see him on this trip and it was really wonderful to be able to reconnect with him. We hadn't talked in around three years and we picked up right where we left off. It's very refreshing and affirming to find a friendship undeteriorated by space and time. Mark is very direct, absurd, and darkly funny. So great to see him.

We didn't stick around too long because Alex had a show at iO. We got tacos from a food truck, the best meal I've had out here, maybe the best tacos I've ever had. He dropped me off and I went to bed early. I think I may have planned on doing a little too much without allotting time to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment