Thursday, April 30, 2015

Street Talk 23

On a crowded rush hour brownline train. Fullterton stop. A man is playing some middling electronic/pop/R&B loudly on a portable stereo. I suspect the music is self produced.

Woman: Put your headphones in.
Man: What?
Woman: Come on. Listen on your headphones.
Man: Who do you think you are. Shut your mouth bitch.
Woman: Just put your headphones in. No one wants to hear that.
Man: No one else is saying anything. Whats your fucking problem. Mind your own fucking business. Your lucky I don't hit women. But I know people. I could get people to take care of you.
Woman#2: Give it a rest. Turn that crap off.
Man: So disrespectful! Why you being so disrespectful to me! Keep yourself to yourself and leave me alone.
Woman#2: Disrespectful!?! You're the one that's being disrespectful to everyone on this train. And making threats-
Man: I didn't make any threats.
Woman: Yes. You threatened me.
Man: No. I said...I said I don't hit women...but I know ladies who do.
Woman: Your being rude.
Man: I'm being me and you're going to have to deal with it. You can't tell me what to do. I'm going to do what I'm going to do and you can't stop me.

The man turns up his music and the train is silent other than the refrain of the pulsing chorus "fuck love" repeating over and over again.

Four stops later at Southport the man is about to exit.

Man: What's your name?
Woman: Mary.

The man exits the train. Both women who have spoken to him clap and cheer. They are joined by a smattering of other commuters. Mostly though everyone has politely ignored the whole interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment