Monday, April 27, 2015

On Friendship

Read this at Quenchers tonight, I wrote it for my friend Heather. We've been friends since working at summer camp together in 2000. She leaves Chicago after 12 years in June.

I've never been great at making friends. I can be reserved, isolated. Sometimes aggressive or awkward. But for whatever reason I've had incredible luck when its come to friends. I, with no trace of irony, am blessed with the most gracious, kind, and giving companions. Spoiled by the inexhaustible gifts of friendship I have the fortune to receive. I hope I have been able to return a fraction of these gifts with loyalty, concern, and care.

Over the past year many friends have left Chicago and that trend shows no signs of slowing. As we age new paths are carved out before us, new adventures present themselves for exploration, and we outgrow our current circumstances. Many have felt it is time to move on and justly so. Forward lies the future, further out lies the seductive unknown.

Soon one of my oldest and dearest friends will leave Chicago. It hits me harder than all other departures that have gone before. It may cause me some personal discomfort but this is not a cause for grief only celebration.

Each of us is on a journey. Often times we walk together sharing company and love. But life, ever complicated, has surprises for us all. So you may be called to go your way and I may be called to go mine. But the bond thats connected us will not dissolve in time.

And although miles may separate us and experience diverge our lives you are my always, constant, loving friend until the day I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment