Wednesday, April 1, 2015

La La Land

I flew to Los Angeles today to visit Alex and see the city. I've never been to the west coast before and am very excited to soak in the sights and the sun. One of the first things we did is hike up to the Griffith Observatory which is right behind Alex's house.
Griffith park is beautiful, a big sprawling patch of green in the middle of the city. Lots of panoramic views.
From the top you could see the Hollywood sign, cliche but still cool to see.
Everyone talks about how great the weather is but until I got here I didn't realize how pleasant and slightly bizarre perpetually sunny skies can be.
Although LA is in the midst of a drought most of the vegetation seemed relatively healthy. The hike was very meditative. It gave Alex and I a good amount of time to catch up and gave me a chance to gradually soak things in and adjust to the LA frequency.

Walking through Alex's neighborhood there were lots of flowers in bloom. Something I've been missing.
In the evening Alex, his girlfriend Caroline, and I went to a solo showcase that Alex's was performing in with a number of other Chicago folks. There's a huge former-Chicago contingent here in LA. It's great to see so many familiar faces and to be able to reconnect with some people I haven't seen in a while. It's comforting to see so many people I know, not only at the show but even walking around Alex's neighborhood. It makes it feel like I'm visiting a community I'm already a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment