Friday, July 31, 2015

Last Day

Today was my last day of work due to our office closure. This job was the first one I got and worked sober. Underwriting was the first line of work that I got a measure of satisfaction from. I showed up, I worked hard, and I did what was asked of me. Of course at times I slacked, cruised the internet, called in sick when I wasn't, but for the most part I was a good employee. I got a lot of great feedback from my bosses and I felt I was genuinely appreciated. It's a new feeling.

In the past I only lost jobs, more often than not for chronic lateness or calling in sick too frequently. The few jobs I wasn't let go from were because I left before they could pull the trigger. My time at this company was totally different. Was the work great and totally stimulating? No. I don't think I could be fully satisfied with any kind of job that was in an office. But there were times when I would pick up a certain task or problem that genuinely interested me, that was challenging, and I felt real satisfaction working on and solving it.

As a line of work insurance isn't very exciting, it is synonyms in popular culture with boredom and I don't necessarily refute that. A lot of my days were filled with a certain amount of tedium. But as someone who has experience in customer service, retail, and the service industry I think insurance, especially by comparison, offers a useful and effective product. It's a business just like any other but for the most part you get what you pay for, if something happens insurance provides monetary assistance. Sure purchasing it is a drag and the process can be too involved but when rubber meets the road insurance policies pay out when something happens.

In the midst of all the humdrum office minutia I, periodically, got to provide some real help and assistance to people in times of crisis. Those were the times I felt like the work was making an actual real-life difference, it felt good. I'm proud of the past two and a half years. Not only of the work I did but how I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment