Sunday, May 13, 2012

Kzoo Improv Fest

Yesterday was the final day of the Kalamazoo Improv Festival. The Album performed in the 8 o'clock slot and Craig and I performed at the 10 o'clock slot. Both shows were tons of fun.

The Album show was real fun. We hadn't played together in a long, long time and it was nice to get back into the grove. The group work was just as good as it ever was but we got cut early. It felt like we had just started getting going when the lights got pulled. For some reason the way the festival was structured the first two groups got twenty minutes only. I really didn't understand that and felt like we were slightly gypped.
Craig and I's show was great. Our suggestion was 'proctology' which kind of threw me. The first scene Craig was doing most of the talking and I wasn't doing much. Then about 2 minutes into the show Craig hit himself in the face with a stool causing him to bleed. That also took me out for a second. Once I realized the cut was minor we both kicked in to gear and ran pell-mell till the end of the show. My favorite part was a scene we did where I was flying a bi-plane. Craig was a rich guy passenger and we were doing a bunch of plane tricks which we would act out with the chairs. Eventually we got out on the wings, parachuted down to Craig's pool, drank a Tab then jet packed back up and into the plane. The audience went nuts. It felt great. After the little hiccup in the beginning the show was effortless and so full of joy for me I can't really describe it. It was like when you are a kid and you start to fall over and then you run so that you don't fall but then you lean more so you have to run even faster not to fall. The show was like that. Or at least that's how I felt.

Joyous momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment