Saturday, May 12, 2012

les emotions

'les emotions' Punam and Sarah's sketch show opened this past Thursday. It was great. Fun characters, a variety of styles, different themes, and a couple great songs. They frame it like a French cabaret. All the scenes were great but one of my favorites involved a lot of purses. It's nice to see two great performers in a situation where they can showcase themselves without any creative constraints. There was such a nice sense of freedom and joy to the show. The show went by quickly and left me wanting more.

'les emotions' Thursdays at 10:30pm in the DeMaat.

Don't Miss It.

but...

What they don't tell you is that there is an opening group. Neither Punam nor Sarah told me there was an opening sketch group. They've been talking about the show for two months or so and never mentioned it. No where in their promotional materials do they mention a second group. When the lights came up at the start of the show there was a woman on stage who was neither Sarah nor Punam I was so confused. I thought it was a bit. A joke. I was expecting a reveal. But no, the first scene was some woman in overalls talking to the audience and at the end she threw jellybeans at us. The next scene was some overly done substitute-teacher-who-can't-handle-the-class thing. It was so bad I thought Punam and Sarah were starting their show with a parody of a sketch show. Turns out they were just splitting the bill.

But it gave me an idea for a great bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment