Thursday, May 16, 2013

Editing

Tisher, Tim, and I edited the season 1 finale of Bubble Boys tonight. The most surprising thing about the project has been how interesting and fun editing has been. When we first started I thought editing would be laborious and during the first couple episodes it took us a long time to decide on what takes to use and how to put them together. As time past we all became much better about choosing takes, cutting in jokes we wanted to save, and making each episode flow.

I've always loved putting together Legos and puzzles as well as making collages. Fitting things together to make something else maybe something greater than its parts. Editing is evokes that same feeling but even more so because instead of using uniform blocks or someone else's art to make something we are using are own.

One of my favorite books is Zeroville by Steve Erickson, the main character in it is a film editor. I didn't understand when reading out how editing could be just as vital to a project as the acting or directing and just as satisfying. Now after our process I realize how crucial it is. How a joke here or a joke there, how this take as opposed to that take can influence the feel and flow of an episode.

I think the three of us have gotten substantially better about putting episodes together which makes me very excited about our second season, the editing will be much easier and theortically more streamlined.

Editing is a process I've come to take great pleasure in and I hope to do more of it in the future maybe branching out into videos. Although I'd have to get a camera first and a bunch of software I don't know how to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment