Monday, May 20, 2013

Tune Up

I've had 7 bikes in the city: 5 were stolen, 1 was ravaged by weather, and 1 I currently ride. Every spring I get my bike fixed up or, depending, purchase a bike for the coming season.

Every year I go to Nearly New Bikes on Broadway to get my tune up or a new(old) bike. It's a great hole-in-the-wall shop with great service and great prices. The guy who owns and runs the place is named Ron, for the longest time I thought the place was just called Ron's, he's quiet and watches over all the bikes like a little kingdom. It's a great place, not so hipstery where everyone there is a bike snob and not commercial where all the employees try to up sell you and take advantage of the fact you don't know anything about bikes. The only problem with it is it usually has a lot of volume so you may have to make more than one trip to get what you need.

My yearly bike repair or purchase feels like it starts the summer. I get my bike tuned up and I feel ready to hit the road, enjoy the sun, the wind, and battle the heat. I feel mobile. The chains and the webs of winter are finally shaken off. The road ahead is bright and warm.

And the summer full of promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment