Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Small Betrayal

I walked down the alley. I had just run. I was on my cool-down. I passed a smoking man. He was 50 or so and wearing a suit. A business man. He was walking the other way.

At the end of the alley I turned around and walked back. I was cooled down and ready for a shower. The man had stopped. And leaned into a doorway smoking still.

He saw me turn around and head back in his direction. He seemed startled and smoked faster. Before I passed him a second time he crushed his cigarette beneath his brown boat shoe. Flapping his sport coat as if to clear its scent, he left the alley.

So secretive, I thought. And remembered a story about a married couple. The man smoked but told his wife he didn't and never smoked in front of her. She pretended she didn't know he smoked even though she knew. The point, I think, was the argument wasn't worth it. Little lies keep things going. Hide your vice.

This man must have a wife who doesn't like him smoking. So he walks down the alley on his way home and steals a smoke. When he goes home he makes up lies about why he smells like smoke. His wife pretends she believes him and he tells the lies and they stay married and everything stays the same and never changes.

I left the alley and looked for the man but he was gone. I felt sorry for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment