Saturday, July 26, 2014

Produce, Protest, And Park

In Mad-town visiting Marta. We went to the farmers market after a crepe breakfast and it was packed. People here seem to be much more concerned with and supportive of the local food movement. Seems like most of the places we went sold or used free-range, grass-fed, free-trade, organic type products. The option or the interest doesn't seem to be nearly as prevalent in Chicago. Maybe it's just not on my radar. I'm not much of a foodie and not terribly concerned with where I get my grub, I realize this isn't a great attitude to have.
Marta with some sunflowers. While Marta and Nick did the shopping I just walked around the perimeter. Crowds make me nervous.
A visit to Madison would not be complete without a protest. The chanting was lack luster, the signs were great.
In the afternoon we went to Blue Mounds State Park and went for a hike. The best part of the trip was simply pending time with my sister. We do a pretty good job keeping in touch but we both lead busy lives and anyway I do my best talking and listening in person.
At the top of the mound there was two observation towers. The picture doesn't do the view justice. On the way down we passed a wedding about to commence. They had an arch of white balloons strung up at this campsite with an amazing view. We spotted the bride getting ready in one of the questionable park bathrooms, she looked beautiful despite it. Marta teared up a bit, her wedding is coming up in five weeks. We are all very excited.

After the hike we took a dip in the park pool. I did the math and I hadn't swam in a pool in four years. Cold and fun. It was a wonderful visit, I love my sister and it's always such a joy to get some extended time with her. Both Marta and Nick seemed a bit pre-occupied, of course, and I realized when we were all driving to Rockford and they were hashing out wedding plans that my timing may not have been ideal.

I'm grateful for my sister. Marta couldn't be more gracious and considerate. She's stood by me through a lot and her support remains unwavering. She received me with open arms this weekend even though I'm sure she and Nick could have used the time to relax and shore up wedding details. But hey, she made me watch the first two episodes of Orphan Black so we're even right?

No comments:

Post a Comment