Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Graffiti 133

"Pistol" Pete Maravich

Basketball is the only sport I got into watching, albeit briefly. I've never watched sports or taken much of an interest in them outside of occasionally playing them myself. But there were two points when I was really into basketball: the second Chicago Bulls three-peat and the 2003-2004 Detroit Pistons. Both had an amazing and compelling cast of characters playing some extraordinary ball. In both cases it seemed like the right team won. Good prevailed.

There's something about the game when it's being played great. Verging on and achieving perfection. Something like dance and jazz and combat. Moments of grace and timing and courage and audacity. The problem is the game seldom achieves that. With all the money and the drama and the egoism the game of basketball rarely transcends.

"The game of basketball has been everything to me. My place of refuge, place I've always gone where I needed comfort and peace. It's been the site of intense pain and the most intense feelings of joy and satisfaction. It's a relationship that has evolved over time, given me the greatest respect and love for the game." -Michael Jordan

"They don't pay you a million dollars for two-hand chest passes." -Pistol Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment