Friday, July 25, 2014

Madison Visit

Today I headed up to Madison to visit my sister Marta and her fiance Nick. Took the bus from O'Hare up to Madison. I wouldn't recommend it. I haven't traveled by bus that much since field trips in high school so I'd forgotten how unpleasant an extended bus ride can be when someone sits next to you. After the first twenty minutes I was hopelessly stinky. My seat mate was a young woman who journaled most of the the trip, I was very curious what she was writing but figured there was no way to get a look without being discovered given our proximity. The last twenty minutes or so she started watching Bring It On. She didn't mention my increasing BO which I appreciated.

I got into town, Marta and Nick picked me up, and our first stop was their butchers. These flowers were out front. It's nice to get out of Chicago for a bit but I'm always surprised by the differences between cities. Madison is beautiful and sprawling with a comparatively narrow ethnic demographic. Every city has a different pace, a different rhythm and it always takes some time to recalibrate.

We got fish fry and ice cream and talked family late into the night, the start of a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment