Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence Day

When I was a kid my family would always go up to our cabin in northern Wisconsin for the fourth. We would fish, grill out, light off our own fireworks, and go to one of the surrounding small towns for a bigger display. As I grew up we couldn't really find the time anymore. During and after college I just used the holiday as an excuse to party, of course I don't remember any of those being particularly memorable or fun.
This year Nicole and I spent most of the afternoon at Meaghan's BBQ. Lots or great people, beautiful weather, and good conversations. It's really nice to be at a gathering with lots of friends and acquaintances and to move from conversation to conversation without pressure or direction. Just letting the moment be and relaxing in it. There was an ease about the get together that I appreciated and enjoyed. We ended up the night on Ryan's roof, there were sparklers.
From the roof you could see all around the city. There were fireworks going up all around us. I don't have much patriotism in me but I felt a tangible sense of community not only with my group of friends but with Chicago at large.

No comments:

Post a Comment