Thursday, March 7, 2013

Del Awards 2013

Last night Punam and I went to the Del Awards, iO's yearly award show to celebrate the past year-in-improv. It was a fun night. In the past the night can really drag but this year it clipped at a nice pace. Some highlights were Scott Nelsons hosting as himself in 2079, Charna(iO's owner) making a toast to the theater speaking about Del's memory, the team Villain doing a tribute to their teammate who past away this year, and Jason Shotts presenting improviser of the year to Colleen Doyle.

It's always a nice night. It's a time for everyone in the theater to get together, make some jokes, and recognize each other. I've gone every year for the past four and I never think that it can make up its mind what it is. We are comedians so I think it should be expected that there's a certain amount of edge in the night. Some jokes at others expense and, like any theater, everyone has ideas about how it could be run better. So every year I feel like I want a little more teeth to the evening.

This year the big disappointment were the acceptance speeches, for the most part no one really said much of anything at all. It's a great opportunity to make some jokes, give sincere thanks, or make a statement. No one took advantage. Comedians, for the most part, are an opinionated lot so when people don't take advantage of standing at a podium in front of all their peers I don't understand it.

All in all its always great to get in a room with a bunch of friends who are fascinated by performing in the same way I am.

I'm grateful for a stage to play on and people to be on stage with.

1 comment: