Friday, March 8, 2013

I Love Jelly Beans

I've always enjoyed sweets but I've never been the type of person that had a sweet tooth or always ordered desserts. Over the four years of college I hardly had any sweets at all. But throughout my whole life I've always had a weak spot, an insatiable craving, for jelly beans.

One of my earliest memories is waking up in my old house on Easter morning and finding a trail of jelly beans from my room, around the house, to my Easter basket in the living room. Over the years my dad, I think in a way to express his repressed creativity, would make jelly bean designs and trails all over the house on Easter morning. From childhood till now I've been hooked. The fruitiness, the texture, the slightly processed flavor, I don't know. I've tried many many different kinds of jelly beans and loved them all.

Since getting sober I've developed a pretty prominent sweet tooth. I'm told it's a common side effect. You're body is used to a certain amount of sugar so you continue to crave it. A couple months ago I was eating ice cream every night but I've since been able to cure my sugar fever. Except now, with Easter on the horizon, all the stores have stocked a wondrous variety of jelly beans.

And I figure why not indulge, it makes me feel like a kid again.

No comments:

Post a Comment