Saturday, March 30, 2013

Grade School Memories

I went to Carlson Elementary School in Rockford and I find a lot of things from that time still sticking with me especially the songs. Every Friday the whole school would get together for 'All School Sing' where we would sing a bunch of songs for the two hours before school got out. We sang the Halloween song, a President song which taught us all the presidents in order, we sang Everyday People by Three Dog Night to learn about tolerance, The Purple People Eater, Splish Splash, Old Time Rock and Roll, tons of songs.

I loved singing and still do, I give most of the credit to those all school sings. Every now and again one of these songs from the past will pop back into my head and won't get out. This week Wheel of the Water has been in my head constantly. So much so I'm going to write a sketch involving it in some capacity. Give it a listen and enjoy. It's about the water cycle!

The Wheel of the Water by Tom Chapin on Grooveshark

I also just remembered we sang this song a lot too. Maybe it was when we were studying the Revolutionary War and reading The Fighting Ground by Avi...

The Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Cash on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment