Sunday, September 14, 2014

Hindsight Hour

Yesterday I had my first recording session for my new podcast project theoretically titled "Hindsight Hour". Tim and I are collaborating again, which is fun and easy, it feels good to get back into his studio. Our working relationship is very fluid because of all the time we spent on Bubble Boys.

Tim and I are still working on the format of the show but basically each week will have a theme like "The Work Place" and will contain scenes improvised from written premises. The goal is to have more realistic grounded type scenes in an effort to get at some commonalities within these generalities and to see how different performers find inspiration with the same prompts. What the end result will sound like I have no idea.

We had Annie, Brunlieb, and Scott in the studio yesterday and it was such a joy. I am very grateful to work with Annie one last time before she leaves and always stunned and delighted by Brunlieb and Scott. They really sunk their teeth into the stuff I threw at them. I'm taking more of a directing role with this project which has its own challenges and excitements.

Today Malarkey and Chimko came in to record, I did some scenes with them, one where I was their dad busting them for curfew which felt real good. Their first team at iO was the first one I coached so we have a bit of a paternal dynamic which added to it. With Malarkey also leaving at the end of the month it was important and gratifying to have them in, felt like closure.

Everyone was responsive, game, and creative and made this new project, which isn't totally defined, really fun to start work on. They gave me some great material and triggered some ideas on how to put it together.

It's incredibly satisfying to start work on a project. I realize it's the thing I've been missing the past couple months which has caused a bit of angst. At the end of the month lots of folks are taking off and it feels like things here are starting to roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment