Sunday, September 21, 2014

Splatter

Last night I understudied for Jimmy in Splatter Theater, the Annoyance Halloween show, a slasher spoof with lots of blood. I was nervous before the show, more so than I have been in years. I haven't been a part of a piece of theater that required blocking and memorization since 2008. And I've never been part of a show where I was killed by getting my dick cut off.

The cast was all super nice and helpful. MB especially swooped in to save the day, before my death scene I accidentally triggered the bladder filled with blood strapped to my back, she pinched it off before it was too noticeable and I was able to die with a strong spray spurting out from between my legs. The reaction to my death was pretty big which was reassuring, I was worried about filling Jimmy's shoes (although I did wear his actual shoes which were incredibly uncomfortable, guy's got small feet).

Unbeknownst to me(or her) my friend Chloe was slated to see the show for the Reader. Kind of cool that it just happened to be the one night that I was understudying. Her review is here, she gave MB a much deserved shout out.

The experience was great, I was nervous but I showed up and did my best and I think I did a good job. There was a time this kind of thing would have been too overwhelming, I would have bailed or half-assed it. It's gratifying to be afraid of something, feel the fear, and do it anyway. Feels like growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment