Thursday, September 18, 2014

There Are Other Worlds Than These

When I was a boy I lapped soda from a bowl.
Checked every nook, closet, and cabinet for a way to Narnia.
Knew that if I pedaled my bike fast enough I would leave the ground and fly away.
Rigged up a string system so I could open and close my door from my bed.
Slept under the dining room table for a week.
Slept in the basement for a summer.
Slept on a cot next to my bed for a year.
Always slept on top of my comforter, never under it.
During dinner I would leave the table then return with a towel over my arm claiming to be a waiter.
I always helped the checkout person scan groceries.
I cried a lot.
I yelled and screamed a lot.
I'd talk to Lego people or X-men action figures for hours.
I'd walk around parks listening to books on tape, lost in more exciting worlds.
I loved Neverending Story and Phantom Tollbooth but I always wondered, after discovering a world of fantasy, magic, and danger

Why would they ever return?

No comments:

Post a Comment