Friday, September 19, 2014

The Great Reorganization

My sister took me to High Fidelity when it came out back in 2000. It helped form a lot of my early opinions about relationships and continues to influence how I consume and talk about pop culture.

In the film, after a break up, Rob reorganizes his record collection. It's something he does after every major life event. It's cathartic and centering. He doesn't use alphabetical or chronological guidelines but orders his records autobiographically. He says it's comforting.

I've used a couple different systems over the years. Straight alphabetical, straight chronological, alphabetical within genre, chronological within genre, watchability(# of personal views), quality, but never attempted an autobiographical method. It may be one of those things that sounds cute in the movies but in actuality is unimplementable. Would I organize them by when I purchased them, at what age I liked them, or use some other more ethereal method organizing the feelings each film evokes into a series that mimics my own personal journey? Doesn't seem functional.

I love movies and am proud of my DVD collection. In the aftermath of my double move I'm only now getting a chance to settle in and give it some attention. This time around I'm going with straight autobiographical, keeping it basic. It's gratifying to sit down and put things in order. Slow down, focus in, and keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment