Friday, February 13, 2015

A Familial Audience

My sister Marta and her husband Nick came down from Madison tonight to see Contention with my cousins Alyssa, Sarah, her husband Doug, Kelly, her boyfriend Scott, and their mom my Aunt Anne. It was quite the crew. I was a bit anxious having them all out in force, the show is pretty personal, but it went well and they all seemed to respond positively to it. We hung out at the Annoyance for a while afterwards just chatting and catching up. It was really great, it's rare that we get a chance to get together outside holidays and the occasional birthday.

Over the years my family have come to a lot of shows that were, I'm sure, more obligation than entertainment. Cute but painful grade school productions, boring and/or safe high school fare, dull college classics, mediocre improv etc. It feels good to have something that I conceived and helped to create that I'm really proud of, that has a clear message, that was deliberately curated, that I can show them as an indicator of what I've been up to and how I've progressed. It means a lot they all came out.

My Grandma is slated to come next week. No pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment