Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Graffiti 151

12ozProphet appears to be a graffiti collective. Graffiti as straight advertising for bands, websites, what have you strikes me as a bit beside the point. Same with simple tags. To me it's counter to the spirit of graffiti. Like this tag, it's odd that a graffiti collective is simply putting their name on stuff as opposed to actually saying something or making art.

The name itself I find unsettling, I presume it is in reference to a can of spray paint but my first thought was a can of beer. That belligerent and bone-deep confidence that makes one pontificate with such certainty about the world, that ability of divination which usually follows the third or fourth drink. That state of mind isn't something to be revered or sought.

No comments:

Post a Comment