Friday, February 27, 2015

Nothing Left To Prove

Fishbowl the show Sight Unseen hosts at the Annoyance on Thursdays has been going really well the past couple weeks. Students are slowly starting to hear about it and come out. Our sets have been really fun and different, not different as in mind-blowing but different for us as players, we all agree there's something easy and unique about it. There's an assurance and freedom that I think most of us haven't felt before.

All of us have been on a number of different teams, both independent and constructed by established theaters. Everyone's training and interests are pretty eclectic. At this point everyone has a relatively high level of comfort and confidence on stage. The result of all that is none of us have anything to prove. Not to each other and not to anyone who might be watching. There is no extra layer of identity, competition, or status involved. No one ever tries to fix a scene or manage a piece, we just play.

For me I feel like it's probably some of the technically best improv I've ever done. Most of the time I'm truly present, reacting to what people are saying, finding inspiration within the moment as opposed to going in with preconceived ideas or initiations. I'm frequently surprised and delighted by my teammates and because I'm not worried about pushing the show a certain way I can really embrace them.

The Annoyance is great about fostering that sense of freedom and liberation. Mick and Jen gave us the slot along with permission to do what we wanted with it. They provide no oversight, they haven't come to see the show. There is an implicit trust there, a hands-off approach that I've really responded to. When you take away all the judgement and the fear you have a chance to truly play.

No comments:

Post a Comment