Monday, October 29, 2012

Entrances And Exits

In the past day Carrie has stepped down from The Night Shift and Blair has stepped down from Echo. It's an odd feeling when someone leaves an improv group. Sometimes people leave because they move, they are too busy, or because they are not getting what they want out of it. As someone who stays there is a sense of loss and sometimes rejection, failure. The group failed by letting this person go or I failed as a coach. I did something wrong, we did something wrong. But that's not the case.

We are all on our own artistic journeys. We all have different goals and need different things in what we do. Everyone is on there own personal journey and needs to make decisions that put themselves in the places they want to be. I don't stay in a group or with a show if I think it's stagnant, if I don't like doing it, or if it becomes an obligation.

Improv is great. I love it. But there comes a point I think after doing it for a long time or after being on groups put together by other people that you desire something more. Something more personal. Something more unique to your own voice. When I moved back to Chicago I got on teams at all the theaters I could: iO , Second City, CIC, and The Playground. I wanted to do as much as I could. After I did that for a year or two I realized simply performing is good but performing with an intent and focus is better. I started to develop outside ideas, outside interests, foster my own style, and because there are only so many hours in the day you have to shift priorities.

You have to trust yourself and when you have that feeling of constriction or boredom you have to make a change. Develop your own stuff. Write. Put together a group with people you want to collaborate with, that you have an affinity for. Create a unique focus and follow it.

If you step down from a group it doesn't mean you dislike the people in it. It doesn't mean you resent the time you spent. All experiences are valuable, every friend makes you grow. But when your heart pulls you away. Follow it.

Life is full of change. Friends, lovers, jobs, cities come and go. They are all valid, they all in a way become a part of you in the ever-evolving person that you are. When you leave something you don't really leave it. You carry a part of it with you always. It has shaped you.

Find what brings you joy. Then chase it.

No comments:

Post a Comment