Monday, October 15, 2012

Jeff Awards

I went with Punam to the Jeff Awards tonight. The Second City e.t.c. cast was nominated for best revue. I was pretty nervous going into it but the night turned out to be a lot of fun. We all went there in a party bus complete with stripper pole and terrible neon lightening. We were there early so the cast could run the scene they would perform in the show. While they did that I sat in the lobby with Steph and Sarah and did some people watching. One woman, presumably an actor, walked from group to group scanning the crowd with a fake smile plastered on her face. Networking! Everyone was very nice but most of the attendees had a whiff of pretentious theater. I recognize it because I use to be apart of it or wanted to be apart of it. Getting into improv and sketch was divine intervention. A night like tonight just makes me so grateful that I'm doing what I'm doing who I'm doing it with. A lot of the plays that were nominated were plays that have been done thousands of times. Some I've even seen multiple productions of. That life doesn't appeal to me anymore. I get to create my own content. I get to have my own voice on a nightly basis and make people laugh. I wouldn't give that up to do the 1978th production of The Crucible in Chicago.
The other surprise of the night was that the people from Second City felt like a team. We all sat together, we all hovered over the veggie and cheese tray together, we all undercut the seriousness of the proceedings together. Out of the Second City building the actors, producers, and directors were all on the same page. At the Jeff's there was no hierarchy, we were all representing Second City. It was the first time I met some people and the first time I talked to some people that I knew. But I felt comfortable, which for me is almost unheard of in that kind of situation. I had a blast shooting the shit with people I have only said 'hello' to in passing.
We're All In This Room Together won best revue and Edgar Blackmon from mainstage won for best performer. It felt great. Surprisingly great. To stand up with all the other comedians cheering, making our presence known in Chicago Theater.
Punam and I had a great time. She looked wonderful, performed great, and I enjoyed the no-pressure of being the plus one. A number of people came up to us afterward and praised her telling her how hard they thought improv was. The night overall was interesting and fun.

But we both agreed the best part was the dessert buffet.

No comments:

Post a Comment