Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Improv And Friends

Tonight there was a going away show of sorts for Ariel and Asher. They're both leaving on a boat at the end of the week. A lot of people came out to watch and wish farewell not least among them Tisher and Jo(above). Opening up the night was suppose to be Comedy Partners(Blair and Asher) followed by ATV(Asher, Tim, Vince) with Master Blasters(an all female group dressed in drag) closing out the night. When I got there, for whatever reason, Asher was feeling weird about playing back to back shows so combined his two and asked Tisher and I to do a last minute set in the middle. He also asked us if there was anyone there who we wanted to perform with. I said not really but just then Jo and Sarah came in, I've been wanting to play with them for a long time so the four of us did a set.

It was a great night of improv. Vince, Blair, Asher, and Tim had a great set. Jo, Sarah, Tisher and I were dubbed numbnuts by Ariel who was the host so we used that as our name because we didn't have time to talk before the show started. It was incredibly fun. I haven't performed with new people in a while and I haven't performed with friends for the first time in even longer. I had such a blast. We created a really fun piece centered around four high schoolers with an 80's teen movie sort of style. It's such a joy to play with friends, friends who I've watched perform and admired for a long time. It really refueled me, got me super excited, and energized. Not that I've been feeling stale, I've been really satisfied with all my performing opportunities recently, but it was just that thrill of something new. Master Blasters closed out the night hilariously. With their particular conceit it's difficult not to. You can find their show here:
After the show we all hung out. A group of friends in a room that wasn't crowded with no loud music. It's so refreshing to have a social situation out of the context of a bar or 'party'. I talked a lot of shop, caught up with people, gossiped and scavenged the fruit plate. A better Tuesday I haven't had in a long time. At one point I was chatting with Sarah. She said something that still has me laughing.

Sarah: I'm getting sick. A baby sneezed in my face today.

No comments:

Post a Comment