Thursday, April 25, 2013

Be Like Water


I first heard this idea years ago from the biopic Dragon: A Bruce Lee Story. I think it extends much further than martial arts to performing, interpersonal communication, work, on and on. Strength and purpose is found in flexibility not rigidity. Being confident and comfortable, knowing yourself and expressing yourself, not in despite of other people or things but in harmony with those things external. Lee goes on to say something like: water is the strongest thing in the world, you can't cut it or break it, but water can wear down rock, running water never grows stale so you got to just keep on flowing. He talks about being so aware that you can always act in an honest manner, staying in ones truth.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I use to be very angry and reactionary. I'm getting better at reacting after a pause and only saying those things that are constructive while still expressing my wants and needs. There is a lot of unnecessary conflict and I'm trying to let those things that don't matter or which I have no control simply flow through and around me.

"It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee

There's a great remix with parts of this interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment