Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Moment Of Grace

The Wells Street Bridge is under construction this week and as a result the red line has a lot more traffic. Last night I was waiting at the Monroe stop for about half an hour in a crowd of people.

I was standing for a good portion of that time next to a young woman reading. We didn't talk and I didn't think much of it. As time passed train after train came thinning the crowd gradually. When I was close to the edge of the platform a train came and I thought I was going to get a spot but I didn't, I was edged out.

The young woman who had been standing next to me did get on and was close to the door. Looking into the train we caught each others gaze. And for a time neither of us looked away. Her eyes were blue green with a lot of flecks in them like the facets of a gem. I didn't want her to think I was some creeper staring at her so I looked down the platform for a moment then looked back. She was still looking at me. As the train binged and the doors closed she mouthed "I'm sorry" and gave me a conciliatory grin. I half smiled and shrugged as if to say "no worries" and the train pulled away.

In and of itself it was relatively meaningless but it was one of those moments that made you feel like people were nice: that even in a crowded, sweaty, irritating circumstance people can be compassionate.

I will probably never see her again but I'm grateful for her and people like her. Any resentment I had because of my work day or the CTA delay was washed away with a small act of kindness.

1 comment: