Friday, April 5, 2013

Ebert

Roger Ebert passed away yesterday only a day after he announced a "leave of presence". It's a sad time for writers and film lovers everywhere.

My dad loved and lauded Ebert ever since I can remember. One of my first memories about movies is my father saying, which he has repeated countless times since, "Well, Ebert gave it..." I've nurtured a love for movies since an early age and at age fourteen started watching at least a movie a week in the theater. Starting at 14, when I had the patience to read a newspaper, I began reading Ebert's reviews. Using his writing as a signpost and sounding board for movies I liked, disliked, and wanted to see. It become much easier when all his reviews became available online and I could go back and read his reviews of older movies I loved and loathed.

Ebert most importantly loved movies, was passionate about them. Articulated why the highs were high and why the lows were low. I always felt an affinity for him, I could hear his voice in my head while reading, he elucidated points I could only vaguely grasp. He was also a fellow recovering alcoholic, which I only found out recently, he blogged about AA in as articulate and straightforward a manner as all his reviews(Ebert on AA). I didn't always agree with his assessments. His 2012 review of Flight in particular comes to mind. A movie I hated which he gave 4 stars to and said "It is nearly flawless." but I can sympathize with wanting a movie to be good when the main character is in recovery.

What I liked most was reading his reviews of a film I didn't like which other people did or a film I did like which other people didn't and him being able to articulate what was wrong or right. I didn't care for The Master when most people did. Ebert gave it 2 1/2 stars and said:

"The Master" is fabulously well-acted and crafted, but when I reach for it, my hand closes on air. It has rich material and isn't clear what it thinks about it. It has two performances of Oscar caliber, but do they connect? It shows invention and curiosity. It is often spellbinding. But what does it intend to communicate?

Another film of 2012 which I loved which was widely panned Ebert gave 4 stars and said:

"End of Watch" is one of the best police movies in recent years, a virtuoso fusion of performances and often startling action...After too many police movies about officers who essentially use their badges as licenses to run wild, it's inspiring to realize that these men take their mission — to serve and protect — with such seriousness they're willing to risk their lives.

Ebert inspired me to start writing movie reviews and to date I've written around 150. He's inspired and cultivated a host of film makers, film lovers, and film critics. His presence and influence will echo for decades.

"Kindness covers all of my political beliefs. No need to spell them out. I believe that if, at the end, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try." -Roger Ebert

No comments:

Post a Comment