Friday, April 20, 2012

Aggressive Play

Before the Deep Schwa show last Sunday it was clear that all the guys were kind of riled up. It was Craig, Timmy, Danny, Brett, and I. The previous weeks show everyone felt a little wonky about. I felt great of course, I'm still in awe of everything. Everyone was amped up and when we took the stage we all attacked.

It was an infections kind of energy. I felt myself getting keyed up because they were all keyed up. We jumped on everything, played fast, physical, and we were all onstage the whole show. We played with aggression but at the same time supported, accepted, and listened to each other. There were points we were all yelling and someone would shout "shut up" so one person could get their idea out. And even those moments there was no malice or rudeness involved just the instinct to push forward. To move fast and hard. Craig and I were sweating pretty good by the end of the show.

We all agreed it was a real fun, good show. The whole time I felt this momentum from my teammates, the audience, as well as the content of our piece, driving me forward. It was like being swept along on a fast moving current. I felt like it was the first Schwa show where I held my own. We all drove and I took an equal part.

Sometimes you'll find yourself with low energy. You'll be sick or tired. Or you'll find yourself in a show where you feel stuck, like you're in a swamp. Those are the times to get your self pumped up. If you start something with energy, precision, aggression and play you'll create your own current.

Then all you have to do is ride the tide till the lights are pulled.

No comments:

Post a Comment