Thursday, April 12, 2012

Murals

Richmond is currently part of the G40 Art Summit. I'm not exactly sure what it means or what it entails but because of it there are murals being put up all over Richmond. I've made Matt pull over whenever we've seen one driving around. I love it. I wish more cities would put up murals. Every building is an open canvas waiting to be filled. Murals or graffiti in general create a more unique city. A city with a heart and personality rather than blocks of passionless concrete. I think it also makes a connection among the citizens. Art like this creates community. It gives the citizens ownership of their city. It makes the city more approachable. More welcoming.

The turtles are Matt's favorite.
This is Matt and I's least favorite but still pretty cool.
The hawk was on the side of an antique shop.
Robot Elephant with a hamburger shot with arrows. I bet the artist saw this in a dream. I thought of the Beanpole when I saw this one.
This one was my favorite. There are robot dogs described in the book 'Snow Crash'. This is exactly what I thought they'd look like. This pup still likes to play ball too.
Broken Captain America Robot. I couldn't tell what this was until I got a block away.

It seemed kind of fortuitous that all this was going on before and during my visit. Murals and street art and graffiti inspire me. Walking around the city with these huge pieces of art to keep you company.

I felt welcome and my heart smiled.

It felt like Richmond knew I was coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment