Friday, April 27, 2012

A Fable About Love

There once was a young badger who lived in the woods.
He did not feel included with the other badgers, he did not feel a part.
He always felt there was something different about him.
He did not get along well with other badgers.
He fought often.
He had few friends and no potential mates.
He was aloof.
The badger was not concerned with the things other badgers were concerned with.
Food and territory, these things did not concern him.
The thing he liked most in all the world was to go out at night and stare at the moon.
The moon he could identify with.
He desired to be free, up in the sky beholden to none.
One night he found a lake, a lake no other badger had visited.
And it was a full moon.
The badger drank deep of the clear blue water and looked up at the moon.
"Sweet moon, I have admired you from afar long and long. I have kept my love to myself longer still. I love you and if you have any love for me, answer me."
After the badger spoke the lake bubbled. And churned.
Out of the lake, out of the reflection of the moon in the calm waters a figure rose.
"I am here my love. I have looked down on you as you have looked up on me. I have loved you so. Embrace me."
The badger and the moon danced until the sun started to creep up the horizon.
"My love," said the moon "I must go, I have to tell you I can only come to you when I am full and strong."
"I will wait." the badger responded.
The badger and the moon danced happily for three days each month.

And it was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment