Saturday, April 28, 2012

Next Level Moments

Rick shows recently I've been really proud of. I feel like we're on the cusp of some kind of big discovery. Last Friday we had this moment that was inspired by something Katie said. In an early scene she said something like "My only friend Tyler committed suicide." Later in the show I tagged in to be Tyler killing himself. This got a groan from the audience as it should. James, Pants and Ryan played into it and I tagged in again to be Tyler after he shot himself, then again to be Tyler calling for help and getting a wrong number, and again as Tyler failing to ask someone out. The whole time the other guys were setting me up. Katie felt bad about dropping suicide but we brought it around by exploring that kids life and bringing some levity to it. During notes George said we could have done it longer. At first the audience was put off, then we turned them, by the end they were loving it. George advised us to recognize these moments, to capitalize on them.
We had another great show last night. The show took off during a scene with Ryan and James. John came on and said James was a kid on top of a kid in a trench coat. Pants came on to be that kid then John got on Katie's shoulders to be another kid, eventually I came on for Ryan to make it a scene at a bar where everyone involved were kids on kids shoulders. It sounds dumb maybe but it was fun and funny. To be honest it felt perfect. And the audience knew it. Later we called the idea back and I was a giraffe with John on my back with Katie under me chasing Ryan with Pants on his back and James on Pant's back. It was absurd and incredibly fun.
You'll have moments where you don't know what to do. Make a strong move. Follow the pattern. Keep it simple. You will make the most amazing discoveries.

Be Bold.

1 comment:

  1. Rick is 'bout to break on through to the other side.

    ReplyDelete