Thursday, June 27, 2013

29

Subtitle: Habits my father gave me in two parts

Around two in the morning I turned 29. I've never put much expectations on a birthday since I had a pinata and Magic Mike perform for my 7th birthday, you can't really top that. Today was a good day, the HR lady got everyone bagels and fruit in celebration of my birth. She also inconspicuously gave me a cup cake with a candle and a book of matches, presumably for me to have my own little party and make a wish in secret in order for it to have a greater chance of coming true.

After work I met HP and Tisher to see Monsters University. My pick of course and the first animated movie I voluntarily went to see since the original in 2001. Afterwards Tisher and I went to Pick Me Up for dinner and of course, my birthday necessity, chocolate cake. It was a great day: I saw a movie, ate chocolate cake, and spent some time with two of my closest friends.

Reflecting on 28 it was a good year. Some downs but mostly ups, I think there's a lot to be done, a lot of potential for the next year. Tonight, though, two things especially made me happy, habits I realized I picked up from my father.

Surprise Me. Ever since I can remember whenever my dad is in a situation, usually at a restaurant, when he can say "surprise me" to the server or employee he does. If he's offered a number of options or suggestions he enjoyed having the person pick and being surprised. It's something I started doing a couple years ago and I continue to do. Our server at Pick Me Up said they had two types of chocolate cake: flowerless and vegan espresso. I asked her to surprise me and she brought me the vegan espresso chocolate cake which I was hoping for and which was delicious. I don't know why but that small interaction always excites me and makes me extremely happy.

Chocolate Cake. Growing up my father always told this story about his Grandma Bertha. One day when he was visiting her farm she asked him what he wanted for breakfast the next day and he said "chocolate cake". She made him chocolate cake for breakfast the next day and every subsequent time he went to visit her. As her grew older he became a little tired of chocolate cake in the morning but would always eat it without complaint because she would make it from scratch. Because of this whenever there is chocolate cake left over from a birthday or graduation or anniversary we would indulge in the Nelson Breakfast in honor of Grandma Bertha. Because of this or maybe despite it it's always been my favorite dessert and holds a scared place in my heart.

For me any big event, any milestone, any accomplishment, any disappointment has to be celebrated or mourned with a slice of chocolate cake. It's tradition, a Nelson ritual.

My 29th birthday was no exception.

  Shoeing The Bones (album version) by Cate Le Bon on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment