Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Coalition Theater

Tonight the Coalition Theater opened its doors for the first time and it was an incredible evening. Matt and I were in the space all day getting everything ready for visitors. If I didn't know before I realized in this visit that Matt is a perfectionist. Opening a theater is kind of like a wedding, there's so many little details that need attention that you would never have thought off. The audience was packed and full of the RCC's friends and family. I was fortune to play with Middle Management- Matt, Katie, and David's three person show, the founders of the theater. We had a great set and it was such a joy and a privilege to play on that stage during the first show.
Two more RCC teams played after us and all in all it was a great night of improv. There was such a sense of fun in the room and watching the show I felt a part of this wonderful opportunity, this great potential. I can't wait for the theater to be open to the public and for them to start doing weekly shows. There's no telling where they'll go from there.
Matt's wife Katie prepared a wonderful spread for the occasion. I skipped dinner because we were doing last minute preparation so I feasted on cheese, crackers, and fruit. Delicious.
When Matt left Chicago in 2009 we talked a lot about what he would do in Richmond with improv.

Matt: Well, I think, I can do everything there I want to do here but I can do it faster in Richmond. I want to coach, I want to teach, and at some point, the big dream, is to open an improv theater.

After four years he did it and I couldn't be more proud of his accomplishment or more grateful for his friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment