Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Imprisonment

My biggest fear is jail time.
Not the inmates or the institution or the showers.
The spacial confinement.
When I was a child I was afraid of being locked into things.
Closets, rooms, haunted houses, roller coaster cars.
I had panic attacks whenever I was playfully smothered.
Or held down or had my arms pinned.
I took no pleasure in play wrestling or being tickled.
Overt restriction of any kind terrified me.
As I grew older this fear expanded.
I became afraid of crowded places.
Places I had never been.
Unknown social situations.
Over the years I had run ins with the law.
An enclosed cell became my jittery, trembling, sweat-soaked nightmare.
There came a point last year when I was confined.
My worst fears realized.
And my mind rattled in it's cage.
And fought and clawed against reality.
And when I was ready to give up, give in, something changed.
Shifted. Realigned. Opened up.
My surroundings were a reflection of my self.
I was restricted by my addiction.
Any exercise of my will was hollow.
Acting out for no other reason than to divert attention.
I wasn't free, I was fleeing.
Of course I was afraid of prison, I was constantly on the run.
From responsibilities, from consequences, from emotions, from anything I could out distance.
I got a glimpse of what being free was.
Comfort in my own skin. Ease. Peace.
Ultimately I discovered everything that is outside is uncontrollable. People, places, situations.
I can control myself and my reactions.
With an honest look at who I am, what I want, and how I act I can put my feet on the path of being truly free. Freedom within myself regardless of my situation or geography.

Now I rarely think of jail or cells or locked things. And I'm farther away from them than I've ever been. Only the ghost of my past fear remains.

Slowly dissipating.

No comments:

Post a Comment