Wednesday, June 19, 2013

James Balog and 'Chasing Ice'

I recently watched Chasing Ice a documentary about the melting of glaciers due to climate change. James Balog, a photographer, becomes obsessed with photographing ice and then sets out to document the shrinking of various glaciers over a number of years. For a "climate change" doc I suppose it's effective but for me that's not something I ever doubted or needed proof to believe. What fascinated me about the film is the simple landscapes, the images. A type of nature that I had never seen so in depth before. At points Balog's waxes poetic about ice and the beauty it contains, that for me made the film and made me want to visit Greenland.

If you're a conservative Chasing Ice is a necessary watch for it's political and environmental message. If you're an artist it's a necessary watch as an example of how artistic expression can have a political message as well as being fulfilling creatively without any dissonance between the two.

Check out more photo's by James Balog or watch Chasing Ice on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment