Sunday, June 24, 2012

10 Year HS Reunion

(Me and Adam, he's in the other half of the picture with me but he's making a bad face)

I have been in Rockford for a couple days, the culmination of which was last night. My 10 year high school reunion. I was very confident and excited about it until the day of. I was running late so couldn't carpool with Adam and Beanpole. On the way there I got a huge wave of anxiety. I was really scared, I can't explain why. As I've said before I think I have agoraphobia so I think that has something to do with it. Thankfully we arrived at the same time and could walk in together. If they had got there before me I was going to make them walk out in order to walk back in again with me. It was weird, fun, and incredibly stimulating. Right when we walked in we got separated, a couple different people approaching us and diverting our attention. The first woman who talked to me was the only person the whole night I forgot her name. Thankfully we all had name tags. She asked how I was, I asked how she was, she said "So this is how you turned out." She seemed to mean it positively but I felt like that was a weird statement. There was a lot of tension and weirdness. And spatially it was tough. You didn't want to get trapped into a conversation for too long.

After that I was separated from Adam and Beanpole but didn't mind. After the first 20 minutes the anxiety wore off. I talked to everyone I wanted to talk to. The group of guy friends I use to hang with, I realized, I'm not mad at anymore. We had somewhat of a falling out in college. I wasn't that interested but it was good to talk to them. Some people I talked to, it was hard, we have nothing in common, we had nothing to talk about, but I still care about them. Those guys and girls I told them I use their names in improv shows which I do.

My best friend in middle school Joey I found out lives in the Chi and one of my other good friends from high school does also. There was no weirdness with them we picked up where we left off. People kept asking "Who are you really excited to see? Who are you really looking forward to?" Which I couldn't really answer until I saw these women.
Julie, Erica, and Jamie. I was really excited to see them. They were the coolest back in the day and some of my good friends. When I talked to them they were the most normal. There was no weirdness. It felt like we were on the same team again. They were fun and interesting. I use to randomly drop in at their places to visit them on the weekends and they did the same with me. It was a fun visiting thing which may be lost now cause of cell phones. Last night I learned some friends, not all but some

Are always friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment