Friday, June 1, 2012

Do Your Part

The Rick show tonight wasn't great. It wasn't good, it was just ok. There are probably many reasons why that is. There were all ten of us which there never are. The show was fun but lacked rhythm. There was no subtlety, no finesse. And that's ok I think. We're not a team to play with ten. I would aledge no team is meant to play with ten. Ten is a bad number, a sad number, an inflated number. A number that is meant to be deminished.

I love everyone on Rick I always want to play with all of them but it's a lot. The Cabaret is a small stage and things can be missed if there's too many people crowding the stage trying to create. I'm proud of our opening and some of our scenes. But I think with a large group, all scenes will devolve into group scenes, which are great, but they can only sustain you for so long. Great shows are group pieces puntucated by grounded two person scenes, we didn't achieve that tonight.

That's ok. Be aware, that's my thing. We have to be aware of our potential and our abilities. We always strive for the perfect show, a seamless show, but that's not always possible. And when the time comes we have a wonky show, which Rick did tonight, that has got to be ok, we can't harp on it.

The reasons are obvious. Too many chefs, one small kitchen. I feel like this was successful. I love to play animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment