Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fun With Eli and Ethan

(photo to come)

Yesterday Adam and his fiance Kristen had Beanpole and I over for dinner. Their kids Eli(almost 2) and Ethan(5, Adam's adopted son) were the main attraction. It's so great to see Adam with his kids. He lights up, he's such a great dad.

(Adam and Beanpole are two of my best friends, we met in high school)

Adam didn't go away to college, he stayed in Rockford to help his folks and never left. I think years ago it use to bother him. It doesn't anymore. When I see him with Eli and Ethan he is so proud, so happy, so content. It makes me want to have a kid. He has a number of games that he has developed with his kids.

Ethan: New Hat! New Hat!
Adam: What kind of hat do you want to be?
Ethan: A Bears army helmet!
Adam: (laughs) Ok.
(Ethan climbs on his head)
Adam: Hmmmm, I love my new hat. Keeps my head warm. What are these(puts Ethan's hands over his eyes) sleep helpers? Wow!
(Ethan makes a noise)
Adam: Hold on what? Is this a kid? Is this place selling kids!?!?! I want to talk to a manager!

(later Adam was laying on the floor, Ethan crawled inside his shirt)
Adam: Oh(stroking Ethan through his shirt) isn't this wonderful? I'm going to have a baby!
Me: You're glowing!
Adam: This is the most wonderful experience of my life! I have something growing inside of me! (Ethan pops out giggling) Oh! A five year old boy, fully clothed. How beautiful!
Me:(laughing)Whats that one called?
Adam: Baby Spot.

Eli was another treasure altogether. I don't think I have met a kid who was more happy, who cried so seldom. He's talking, walking, and climbing great. And I know people say kids are cute but this guy was the cutest kid I have ever seen. We got to play with some toys, I got to lock him in the arm trap, put him on my shoulders and at the end of the night we caught fireflies.

It couldn't have been a better more exhausting evening. I haven't been so tired before ten o'clock ever.

Kids are hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment