Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Goodbye 27

It's my birthday. Last year today I went to work, had 1941 rehearsal, and then Alex took me out to dinner and Chocolate cake with James and Jillian. Since then a lot has happened.

Some thoughts on 27. It was my golden birthday last year. It didn't make it significantly more special than any other birthday. I always have a nice birthday, do what I want to do, have fun and see a couple special people. I think people put a lot of pressure on having a 'great' birthday. That usually hinges on some kind of party. Parties are great don't get me wrong. Surprise parties even better. I think everyone probably want someone to throw a surprise party for them. But that doesn't make a birthday. Your birthday doesn't have to be an amazing day. It should be a good day. Don't expect it to be amazing or you'll just be disappointed. 27 had it's ups and downs for me.

Highlights:
Meeting Punam.
Getting on Deep Schwa.
Visiting Matt in Richmond and doing a two-man.
Punam coming to Christmas with me.
Helping start my first podcast 'Groh Show with Danny Groh'.
Trading my car in for my motorcycle.
Going to see 'Another Earth' with Punam.
Doing two improv festivals with Craig.
Going to the Gene Wolfe awards ceremony and meeting Neil Gaiman.
Movie night with Drennen and James.
Salute Jive's run at iO.
Having dinner and great conversation with my sister at Uncommon Ground.
Coaching my harold team Echo.
Wednesday lunches with Ryan.
The 'Facebook War' with Conner.
Writing and performing in HouseCo's sketch show at Second City.
More specifically I was very proud of my two sketches: Puppets and Drill Sargent.
All the hugs I gave and received.

Lowlights:
Court appearances.
A bike accident.
Seeing Marta and my parents so seldom.
All the stupid arguments.
Those days I couldn't get out of bed.
All the late night phone calls.
Any strained or broken friendships.
My Second City generals audition: Uninspired.
Any Popeye's visits.

Overall 27 was a great year. I learned a lot. I'm looking forward to what 28 will bring. A lot of my peers have recently talked about getting old or feeling old which shocks the hell out of me.

I'm not old yet. I'm hungry for 28.

1 comment:

  1. I'm honored to have made the good list! We need to get back on Wednesday lunches. Just not this week due to the 4th...

    ReplyDelete