Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Showcase

Punam did 'The Showcase' last night which is the show where people bring their 5 minutes for Charna to watch from which she'll pick people to audition for the SNL audition which is a week from today. Before Punam did it she showed me her stuff and it was really great. She asked me for some feedback and I told her to just streamline it. Which I think is the note for most sketches or solo pieces. What is it? How can you make it simpler? Her characters are fun and very unique to her and she has a very unique voice to begin with. I was so excited and proud of her. Because she got the call. We spent today together and she got the tap from Charna. She's doing the SNL Showcase next week.

I'm so happy for her and I have 100% confidence that she will do great. I was talking with my dad about it and he asked me if she had a shot.

Dad: So, does she have a shot?
Me: Umm. I mean it's all a matter of what they're looking for.
Dad: What do you mean?
Me: Well you know back in the day it was a little more organic, more biting. It seems to me now it's mostly formulaic. It's all types, game shows, talk shows, impressions. It's lost some of it's edge.
Dad: No kidding. I remember back in the day when Rockefeller died in the arms of his mistress, at the beginning of the show they called it 'The Megan Marshak Show' and had a little picture of her.
Me: (back on track) Point being, yes she has a shot, a good one. It depends on what they're looking for. She's unique and her characters are fun and engaging and could be serialized which is important for them. She has one with a catch phrase(imitating Punam with accompanying finger gestures)

"I'm trying to get crazy, but not dat crazy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment