Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Echo Again

Last night Echo had their first great show. Our previous shows have been good, each one progressively better than the one before, but I hadn't seen that spark of inspiration or sense of fun or magic that I saw last night.

It's nice to get validation. As a coach I don't get a lot of feedback. If the shows are good than that tells me I'm doing good. There is also a discrepancy for new teams between their shows and rehearsals for the first couple months. There's no pressure in rehearsals, I'm the only one there to judge, and for the most part I think there's not a lot of obligation to make me laugh. In front of a packed house that's a different story. They feel pressure to perform and to get laughs because they aren't necessarily totally solidified as a group. Personalities haven't gelled, people don't necessarily know each other that well, there may be an element of panic.

Last night we closed which may have had something to do with it. Watching the first group alleviated some pressure, maybe, I don't know. Before the show I gave everyone on the Team a personal goal, something I wanted to see from them as opposed to a general piece note. I also tried to be as brief as possible. That may have had something to do with it. Improv is so ethereal it's hard to tell. Maybe they were just due.

Regardless they had a great show and I am very proud of them. It excites me for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment