Sunday, July 21, 2013

Book Junkie

These are some of the books I've read or reread in the past couple weeks. I'm always on the hunt for things to read. It's a never ending battle. I have to have a book. I go through one to three a week and have since 4th grade when I finally started reading at my age appropriate level. It's a compulsion. If I don't have a book to read I'm discontent. I find myself getting anxious quickly. I feel listless. Without a book in my bag that I can dip into at any given time I feel naked, defenseless.

I don't understand people who don't read that often, sometimes I envy them. Reading and books are such a part of my life that I don't understand what people do with their time without them. I go to the book store once or twice a week just to feed my literary addiction and most of the trips are unsatisfying because I often come out empty handed. I agonize over the time authors takes to put out books and put release dates in my calender months ahead of time. I scrounge stores looking for the latest releases but also can't bring myself to order books online. It feels like cheating. I've reread my ten favorite books probably five times each. They're great and I love them but if I hit a drought of new material I have to start reading something: anything.

Whenever I do find something new, something I really like I binge on it. I bought Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane and finished it the same day. I read the latest installment in the Ex-Heroes series in a day and a half. It's not a bad thing, I love the experience of it, getting wrapped up and transported, adventures and love and sadness. But sometimes I can't cherish it. It's an itch that can't be scratched.

Sometimes I use it as a crutch. I whip out a book if I don't want to talk to anybody or use it as a buffer for social anxiety. It's a visual cue "don't talk to me".

I need something to read. I just reread Garp for the 6th time, Motherless Brooklyn for the 5th time, and Duma Key for the 4th time. Right now I'm reading Zorba the Greek for the 3rd time. I think I have some kind of literature specific OCD.

I wish people would read more. Sometimes people say "I don't read" which I think is crazy. But at the same time I don't wish my narrative jones on anyone.

Recommendations welcome. Guys gotta READ.

No comments:

Post a Comment