Sunday, July 7, 2013

Heroes

Craig, Nooch, Me, and Andy photo credit to Craig's iPhone

The first improv show I saw was 3033. It was a silent dance show. I was intrigued and interested but I wasn't hooked.

The second improv show I saw was Deep Schwa. I don't remember any of the scenes but I remember who was there: Jeff Griggs, Brett Lyons, Kevin Fleming, Colleen Murray, Meagan Flanigan, and Dan Antonucci. After that show I got the improv bug bad. Since then I've only rarely missed a Sunday night at iO.

The above photo is blurry documentation that Dan came back to Chicago and played with Schwa tonight. It was a great show and a real joy for me. He has such a weird energy and point of view, such a unique style that always gets the most random laughs. His delivery in and of it self is hilarious, he could be saying anything. Throughout the show I was trying to orchestrate a scene with him but it never manifested. There was however this amazing group scene where Dan was a Grandpa, everyone else were kids, and he told us a story about fishing with a girl. The scene was amazing and I didn't want it to end, at points I was deliberately trying to elongate it because I didn't want to leave it. I was sitting there with some of the most talented people I know in a scene with a person who genuinely inspired me to pursue comedy and pursue improv and stick it out in Chicago. It was a magical moment.

The scene eventually ended as did the show. It was a dream come true. Another great Sunday in a long line of great Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment