Sunday, July 28, 2013

Schwa In Ties

Deep Schwa summer of 2013 
unpictured: Allison Yolo, Colleen Doyle, Tim Stoltenberg, Joe Canale

Unbeknownst to me all the members of Schwa wore ties tonight. I almost always wear a tie but I was rushing out of the house in the afternoon and forgot one. We took this picture, probably Schwa's first actual group photo in 5+ years. As it turned out everyone wore ties for me in solidarity and celebration of my one year anniversary of sobriety. 
The team got me a card and Susie made me a face cake which is her latest obsession. It had blueberries and was delicious. Susie also contacted Tisher, Jimmy, and Eli to come celebrate with us. It was a little strange. Sobriety and my personal struggle with it aren't something that I really talk about a ton outside of my closest friends and addiction in general is something that can be viewed as embarrassing. Even so it was very moving, I was very touched, and I felt the love and support from of my friends and teammates. Quiet frankly I was shocked by the time and effort Susie put into it, making the night special for me, it's something I will never forget and may never be able to pay her back for.

This past year has been great. Maybe one of the best of my life filled with struggle and growth. An essential part of that year has been Sunday nights with Schwa. It was great to be able to let the team in a little bit on that other part of my life and feel their encouragement.

1 comment: