Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Instant Credibility

(sitting on the roof talking on the phone to Bill)

Me: I don't think I expected the call, I wasn't hoping for it consciously, but when I found out it was going on without me involved it was like a sock in the gut, disappointment, jealousy...
Bill: Yeah, of course. It'd be weird if you didn't feel that way, that's normal.
Me: Everyone, myself included, gets so weird. It's like it's the only thing, the only chance, the SNL holy grail. And people just get so wrapped up. It's gross. I just don't understand it.
Bill: Well, any of us can do it. There are a lot of people talented enough to do it. So it's attainable. And it's the only gig that comes through town that...gives you that...instant credibility. (pause) Do you want to do it?
Me: Yes.
Bill: Then ask. There's power in asking. You have as much right to do it as anyone. So what's the harm. She says no then you haven't lost anything and you've tried. She says yes, then oh boy, that's the scary thing. You get the green light then the fear will hit you, boom, then what do you do? It's Nike not Niche. Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment